Moving Beyond Guilt: God Makes The Change

Moving Beyond Guilt: God Makes The Change

Close��But Not Too Close

Living Free Every Day®

Today's Scripture
"I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. 1 Corinthians 3:6 NIV

Thoughts for Today
If your child or someone else you care about is struggling with a life-controlling problem, the goal should be to place that person in God's hands and allow Him to work with your loved one on His time frame. As much as we might want to, we cannot manipulate or demand that a person change��only Jesus can change a heart.

As helpers, we can do these three things to help struggling people:

  • Direct them to focus on Jesus.
  • Model honesty for them.
  • Hold them responsible for their own choices.
Consider this
Today's scripture makes it clear that we can plant seed we can water the seed but only God can give the increase. It is good to know that although we can create an environment for change by doing those things God has called us to do, it is ultimately He who makes the change in our loved one's life.

Father, my loved one is struggling with a life-controlling problem. Teach me how to create an environment for change and help me trust you for your will in my loved one's life. In Jesus' name

These thoughts were drawn from

Close��But Not Too Close
by Dr. Jimmy Ray Lee. A complement to the Concerned Persons small group study, this booklet is written primarily for those who want to help someone close to them who is enslaved by the stronghold of a life-controlling issue. It is also designed to help someone who is suffering the consequences of a loved one's problem.

Would you like to have these devotions appear daily on your church or ministry website? Learn More

©Living Free 2007. Living Free is a registered trademark. Living Free Every Day® devotionals may be reproduced for personal use. When reproduced to share with others, please acknowledge the source as Living Free, Chattanooga, TN, Must have written permission to use in any format to be sold. Permission may be requested by sending an e-mail to